According to statistics, in the year 2021, Americans lost approximately $30 million to phone scams. Phone scam, also known as Phishing, is a very lucrative crime, and many people have fallen victims to it. People fall victims to phone scams because they do not know how to identify a scammer on the phone. If you do not wish to fall victim to a phone scam, continue reading this to learn more about how to identify a scam phone number.
Phone scam continues to be a menace in our various societies, and we must find solutions capable of curbing it. This article provides helpful information on how to tell if a phone call is a scam. It is also essential to know the various types of phone scams.
Keep reading to learn more.
How To Identify a Scammer on the Phone
There are many types of phone scams. If you read with keen attention, you will be able to spot a phone scammer in no time.
1. Impersonation Scams: impersonation scam is undoubtedly the most common type of phishing or phone scam. This type of phone scam is orchestrated by a person claiming to be another person (most often a person you know or a family member). The aim of the phone call you receive is to defraud you of your money. It is so unfortunate that a lot of people have fallen victim to it.
2. Government Grant Scam: This type of Scam also falls under the genre of impersonation scam. It involves the phone scammer impersonating a government staff. The phone scammer sweet talks victims into believing that the government offers free money, loans, or gifts. The scammer then asks for sensitive information that the victim innocently provides. The phone scammer now uses the data to clear out the victim’s money in the bank.
3. Debt Reduction, Cash Prize, or other Service: Phone scammers employ this strategy often. They call you and offer services like debt reduction, sometimes they tell you that you have been chosen as a lucky lottery winner, other times they say you have won a free gift card or an “all-expense paid trip or vacation, but to claim any of the services, gifts or prize, you will have to provide your credit card numbers and Pin, sometimes they even ask for registration fee or upfront payment.
4. Microsoft Scam: This type of Scam involves phone scammers impersonating a Microsoft Tech support Staff. They call you and tell you they are calling from Microsoft, and they are giving a free upgrade or fixing up issues with the software. They are calling to assist you, but first, you have to provide them with the passwords to your Microsoft account or personal computer.
How To Identify Scam Phone Numbers
The following tips will help you tell if a phone number is a scam:
- Strange Cell Phone Number: The appearance of a phone number is one of the easiest ways to identify scam phone numbers. Phone scammers often hide their caller identity or call with a different country code number, be careful in receiving such calls. Also, do not pick calls from numbers that you do not know.
- Requests for personal information: When a person calls you, they are supposed to know you and introduce you. They call to ask you for all sorts of information and details. Regard any number that calls you to ask for your data as a scam call.
It is crystal clear that phone scams have constituted many problems in society and the world. Thankfully this article has enlightened you on how to identify a scam phone number. The next time you receive a call, you will be able to spot a phone scammer within seconds. With tools like Radaris, you won’t have to deal with phone scammers again.